Health & Safety
Health & Safety
Our lawyers work collaboratively with clients to provide sensible and commercially focused compliance advice and deliver essential awareness training for senior leadership teams. A key aspect of our service is emergency response and we have lawyers available to travel to any site (including BOSIET certified lawyers for offshore sites) to provide immediate support following an incident.
Whether you require advice on a police or regulatory investigation or you need legal representation at a formal interview, we will ensure that you and your employees get the right advice at the right time. We represent corporate clients in a full range of legal proceedings including appeals against enforcement action, criminal prosecutions and fatal accident inquiries. Examples include:
- HMA v John Sisk & Son- in January 2016 representing an employer following a fatal fall from height in a cold store
- HMA v Total E&P UK Limited- in December 2015 representing Total in relation to a criminal prosecution arising out of a 2012 gas release from the Elgin offshore installation
- HMA v Bilfinger Salamis- in 2014 representing the employers of a rope access technician killed in a fall from height on an offshore installation
- Appealing and obtaining cancellation of HSE improvement and prohibition notices for various clients including Talisman-Sinopec, Maersk Oil and Apache.
- Appealing against HSE fee for intervention levies
Fatal Accident Inquiries
- Death of Margaret Gilchrist- in 2015/16 representing a social housing authority following the death of a resident in a bath
- Death of Declan Hainey – in 2014 representing employees of a local authority following the death of a young child
- Death of Brasilio Brazao- in 2014 representing an equipment testing company following the death of a wind turbine installation engineer in a fall from height
- Death of Russell Robinson- in 2014 representing a commercial diving company following the death of a diver during an offshore diving operation