A refreshing approach to an established institution.
We are problem solvers, always enjoy a challenge and we never miss a trick.
‘The team seems to enjoy what they do which rubs off on clients and other advisors.'
As one of the largest pension law teams in Scotland, we have a UK wide reputation for taking a refreshing approach to a complex subject.
The technical stuff comes easy to us and so does making sense of it for our clients.
Our approach is to collaborate as part of your team, recognising that every client and pension scheme is different and we like that. Our breadth of practice and experience allows us to consider pension law issues from different perspectives. Nothing old school about us, we’ll give commercial strategic guidance and a clear view of your options.
Our clients include trustee boards, pensions professionals, sponsoring employers, family businesses, public limited companies, owner-managed businesses, law firms, multi-national corporations, local authorities, not for profit / charitable organisations, pension providers, and individuals.
Burness Paull's pension lawyers can advise on:
- project-specific legal advice to employers, trustees, insurance providers, local authorities and not for profit / charitable organisations
- document reviews and drafting
- bespoke training
- independent trustee services through our trustee company, Burness Paull Pension Trustees Limited
- Trustee secretarial and governance
- ongoing pensions legal advice to employers, trustees, insurance providers, local authorities and not for profit / charitable organisations
- liability management projects
- corporate transactions
- benefit restructuring
- defending claims to the Pensions Ombudsman
- pensions law support for other law firms
And we regularly work closely with other experts in our firm:
"The pensions team joins up well with other practices which reflects well on the firm as a whole."
- advising overseas and UK companies on the pension aspects of M&A, private equity investments and refinancing
- advising pension scheme trustees on funding structures, investments and additional employer support for their pension schemes
- supporting pension scheme trustees and UK companies in distressed situations, solvent and insolvent restructuring
- advising UK companies and trustees on payment of death benefits under life assurance schemes
- advising on the pensions aspects of employment relationships (contracts, settlement agreement, retirement)
Burness Paull's pension lawyers are dual-qualified in Scots and English law and are actively involved in pensions industry professional bodies:
- Association of Pensions Lawyers (APL)
- International Pension and Employee Benefits Lawyers Association (IPEBLA)
- Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association (PLSA)
- Pensions Management Institute
- Law Society of Scotland Pensions Committee
“It is nice to finally meet a pensions lawyer who says ‘yes you can’.”
If you would like to refresh your approach to managing your pension requirements contact one of our pension lawyers: