Michael is head of the firm's Restructuring and Insolvency practice. He is accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in insolvency law and is ranked by Chambers and Legal 500 as one of Scotland’s leading insolvency lawyers.
- advisory and restructuring work for lenders and borrowers;
- insolvency and enforcement advice and action;
- acting for insolvency practitioners on advisory and transactional work arising from insolvencies;
- acting purchase side in the purchase of businesses and assets out of insolvency;
- advice to boards of distressed companies; and
- advising clients on counter party insolvency risk.
Michael was named in The Lawyer magazine’s 2020 Hot 100, which recognises the most innovative and creative lawyers from in-house, private practice and the Bar who are shaping the future of the UK legal profession.
“'Michael Thomson is a highly capable and commercially minded lawyer in whom clients have a high level of confidence. He is also extremely client-focused, and builds and retains exceptional relationships.”
‘Michael Thomson enjoys a burgeoning reputation in the restructuring and insolvency field, with commentators reporting that “his rapport with clients and practicality of advice are top class”.’
26th July 2019
The Self-Crowning Creditor?, here we talk about HMRC’s preferential creditor status on insolvency.
16th July 2018
Company voluntary arrangements (CVAs) are very much ‘en vogue’. Why?
20th January 2020
Michael Thomson has been named in The Hot 100 as one of the UK legal sector’s rising stars.